Monday, December 7, 2009

Product Purgatory Edition I

There are millions of products out there that tout results but just can't deliver. For today's post, I want to introduce "Product Purgatory". I am writing this to save you mullah! Save your dollars and spend it on products that actually work.

In this piece I will highlight one product that I have purchased or sampled that just has not made my cosmetic cut.

I urge you to speak up and comment if you have had a different experience! Should the pros from the community outweigh the cons that I've experienced, the product will be purified of it's venial sins and will maintain it's rightful place in my medicine cabinet.

Should we decide to forever hold our peace, then these petulant products will be removed from our repertoire immediately!


Product Purgatory 12/8/2009

Approximate Price: $22.99

Based on yesterday's post, you know my affinity for serums. So imagine my excitement when I found that L'Oreal created one at such a great price! However, my excitement was quickly replaced with the immediate need to wash my face...repeatedly. I refrained in the name of product testing...but I was not happy about it. Here's why.

1. How about some hair spray...for your face!

With anticipation brimming I tore open the package ready to sample and fall in love. However, at first pump I detected the unmistakable scent of...hair spray? Seriously!

I recently checked the ingredients online: Water, Glycerin, Alcohol Denat., BIS PEG/PPG 18 Methyl Ether Dimethyl Silane, Hydroxyethylpiperazine Ethane Sulfonic Acid....

Always the intellect, I thought it would be interesting to cross- check this list of ingredients with my hair spray- Tigi's Bed Head Hard Head Hair Spray. Read it and weep...

Alcohol Denat. (SD Alchol 40), Isobutane Hydrofluococarbon 152A, Octyacrylamide/Acrylayes/Butylaminoethyl Methacrylate Copolyme, Aminomethyl Propanal, Triethyl Citrate, PEG/PPG-17/18 Dimethicone...

The third most concentrated ingredient in this serum is the primary ingredient in my hair spray!

Now, I know what happens when I drink too much alcohol so I can only imagine the long terms effects on my skin had I incorporated this product into my daily regimen.

After researching a bit online, I found that Alcohol denat. (or denatured) is often added to serve as an antifoaming agent, cosmetic astringent, solvent and viscosity decreasing agent. Now, I don't claim to be a scientist, but last time I checked, aside from an astringent, I don't think any of those qualities do anything to enhance my skin.

Read more about alcohol denat here.

**I am not kidding...I really don't claim to be a scientist so if alcohol denat has amazing skin enhancing qualities, than by all means call me out (within the comments section- we really need to start using that functionality, folks).

2. Tacky people...I am ok with. Tacky skin care products...gross.

The texture of this serum is actually really smooth and almost silky when you first apply it to your skin, but after a few seconds it becomes sticky and viscous (em...wait, remind me again what one of the functions of alcohol denat is...).

3. Jack...Jack S.
And here it is boys and girls. This product did nothing for me. I felt that this serum didn't really absorb into my skin and that it just sat on the surface. The consistency was so sticky that when I would smile, it would almost glue my wrinkles shut- an interesting tactic to hide wrinkles but completely ineffective in the long term.

In the morning when I washed my face, I could feel the serum rehydrate and literally slide off my face. Gah-rows.

It's a no for me, L'Oreal Skin Genesis Multi-Layer Cell Strengthening Daily Treatment, Serum Concentrate (and, while I am at it, what is up with the absurdly long name? I mean, really? 11 words? Is that truly necessary?).

Has anyone else tried this product? Can you either validate or denounce my claims? Cast your comments now!

Oh! And my ads are up (just incase you didn't notice the offensive 300x250 unit dead center on top of the page). If you find anything remotely interesting, click away!

1 comment:

  1. You sold me on the serum in your last post and you can bet that I will NOT be buying the product who, you are right, has a name that is ridiculously way too long!- You are good- maybe you should switch careers and sell beauty products!

    ReplyDelete