Wednesday, January 25, 2012

My Favorite Three Words As a Mom

Hand. Me. Downs.

In this economy I think it is fair to say that any rational person, regardless of financial situation, is always looking to save a few bucks. As a recent addition to the "Stay At Home Mom" club, I definitely look for ways to save a dime. We cook dinner at least 5 or 6 nights a week, take advantage of Amazon Prime for free shipping on the stuff we need, we make our own baby food (TBD if that is actually saving us money)....and the list goes on.

Not only is it a lot harder for me to spend money when I am not making a financial contribution, but I also have a little financial fairy in my ear who reminds me that you don't get rich by spending money. It's important to be conservative when you are living on one income (especially if said income is generated from the financial industry...you know, the industry where you get a raise one day and laid off the next...blech).

Today, while I was folding yet another basket of laundry, I realized how lucky I am...every single onsie, pj, pant, and cardigan I folded was a hand-me-down. No joke! And it made me realize that in the five months of my son's life I have bought MAYBE 5 items (there were really super cute outfits at Target during the holidays and he obviously needed a pair of tear away wind pants for Gymboree).

I am grateful for my sister, friends, and neighbors who have donated their clothes to our closet (and it is fantastic to think that I have a never ending supply courtesy of my nephew!). I get excited when we've grown out of one batch of clothing. I fold it and store it away for the next baby (God willing) and think about who, down the road, might benefit from truckloads of onsies.

With all of the expenses associated with having a baby, it is comforting to know that clothing will likely not be an issue. Diapers, wipes....now those are going to cost us.

No comments:

Post a Comment