Monday, January 23, 2012

Do I Go Green?

I am currently watching the "Rachel" Show- I think this is a first. Jessica Alba is on promoting her new company, Honest.com. A retail site for green and natural products for the home. It got me thinking...

I am lucky enough to have two women who help me clean (aka, I help by getting out of the house while they do a top-to-bottom scrubbing). A few times I've come home and they are still finishing up. The scents of cleaners are so intense! Normally, I would love that "clean" smell. But now with a baby, I can't help but wonder about what the fumes of these chemicals might be doing.

In recent weeks, months, I have tried to infuse my cleaning recipes with green and natural products (I know there is nothing better than vinegar and water). But then I wonder if it is really necessary. I grew up in a home with lots of chemicals (ugh, and cigarette smoke).

What do you think- is it worth the extra dollars to go green?

2 comments:

  1. Totally! I use a lot of Mrs. Meyer's for that exact reason. I make my own laundry soap - quick, cheap, easy and safe, plus it works well. Don't know how it would work on newborn skin, but I highly recommend it for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we do cloth diapers and it saves TONS so yes, worth the extra start up cost (and cloth diapered babies potty learn sooner! score!)... and you don't have to spend more to go green necessarily, like you said there's a lot of natural remedies for cleaning and laundry (soap nuts are AWESOME and they're way cheaper than standard detergent!) :) but you've got to do what's best for you - my former military husband refuses to stop bleaching his white undershirts. i let him win that one. :)

    ReplyDelete