Monday, February 6, 2012

Ready, set, GO....GREEN!



...well, kind of "green". I am starting with my household cleaners primarily because that is the area in which my non-greenness is most apparent.

I am never more happy than when I walk into a clean scented organized space. But, I realize that a lot of the scents I associate with "clean" come with a few non-green consequences.

So here are my plans...










Step One:
Don't discard...donate. That's exactly what I planned to do with all of my not-so-green products (Clorox Bleach, Ajax, Swiffer WetJet, Fabric Softener Sheets, Lysol, Pledge). These are currently in a box at my doorway ready to make their way to the Liberty Humane Society.

Step Two:
Create a few essential cleaners from scratch (yes, as in homemade).

Step Three:
Purchase the things I can't make on my own.

Here is what I am left with:
  • Vinegar, water, essential oils All-Purpose Cleaner (I used lavender and eucalyptus- my two favorite scents)
  • Washing Soda, Borax, Lavender & Eucalyptus Laundry Detergent
  • Lavender & Eucalyptus Dryer Sheet (well...reusable rag)
  • Method Flushable Wipes
  • Murphy's Oil
  • Mrs. Meyers Lavender Fabric Softener*
  • Mrs. Meyers Hand Soaps*
  • Rags (the amount of paper towels we go through is embarrassing)
(*After some research, it turns out, that Mrs. Meyers might not be the greenest of products but it is certainly on the green spectrum. And it is impossibly hard not to love these adorably designed, deliciously scented products for the home :)

And there you have it, folks- my cleaning kit for the next several weeks! Hope I can keep it up!!



No comments:

Post a Comment